Who We Are
For over 165 years, Chalmers Insurance Group has been a small-town, family-owned business that strives to make a positive difference in the lives of others. We believe that personalized insurance is the best insurance. Being part of a growth mindset culture with intentional focus on recognition and appreciation means working alongside knowledgeable, forward-thinking, passionate professionals who love sharing their expertise with clients and each other.
Our Ways of Working
In July of 2021, we adopted a hybrid, flexible working schedule. Most of our co-workers enjoy three days from the office and two days from their home offices. This position would be eligible for a hybrid schedule. We have eight locations in Maine and New Hampshire and this position is based in our Bridgton, ME office. Some travel to others offices may be required.
The Role of Controller
The Controller at Chalmers Insurance Group will direct and oversee the financial activities of the organization, a 4th Generation Family-Owned Business. The Controller position will be responsible for managing all accounting and financial reporting functions as well as overseeing a current team of two co-workers. The Controller will also take part in creating and identifying process improvements as needed in the Accounting Department. This role is a vital member of the Leadership Team, has complete ownership of the day-to-day financial strategy and coordinates directly with the Company owners/Senior Leadership Team.
- Oversee the operations of the Accounting Department to include accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliations, payroll, and month-end close with financials.
- Design, establish, and maintain internal controls.
- Analyze and interpret financial results.
- Prepare month-end, and year-end financial reports.
- Prepare month-end and year-end closings with associated journal entries.
- Work with management team to prepare annual budgets and forecasts.
- Be an inspirational leader; manage, train and coach accounting team.
- Oversee and process bi-weekly payroll functions.
- Manage accruals, account and bank reconciliations.
- Manage and review vendor contracts.
- Prepare tax work papers for annual tax returns for outside tax accountants.
- Recommend benchmarks that will be used to measure the company's performance.
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal government requirements such as sales tax and payroll tax filings.
Who You Are
- A passionate accounting leader with 10+ years of progressive experience; CPA preferred.
- You hold a Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business administration or a related field.
- You have 3+ years of experience in a supervisory role.
- You have experience with private company accounting requirements on compliance and reporting.
- You roll-up your sleeves and work in a hands-on management capacity.
- A supportive leader and coach who inspires teams to do big things and solve hard problems.
- Highly organized, energetic, and a charismatic leader, with demonstrable experience leading, developing and mentoring finance professionals, growing future leaders and inspiring high performing teams.
- Strong problem solving and creative skills with the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
- Effective and persuasive in leading change across multiple groups, driving alignment, applying business acumen, company values and emotional intelligence that inspires others.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and accountability for results-orientation.
Your Core Competencies Might Include:
- Relevant finance/accounting experience with a focus on private equity, multifamily assets, or other directly applicable experience.
- Expert knowledge and proficiency of MS Office system computer software, particularly Excel, and QuickBooks.
- Proficient experience managing the payroll function.
- An owner mind-set and entrepreneurial attitude.
- Familiarity with industry software, Vertafore / AMS360.
- Excellent project management skills and ability to proficiently manage multiple ongoing projects.
- Highly analytical thinking with demonstrated talent for identifying, scrutinizing, improving, and streamlining complex work processes.
- Ability to manage volatile workload and prioritize appropriately.
- Ability to work well and collaborate with others.
- Extremely detail oriented and self-motivated.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, both informal and in presentation.
- Experience leading an accounting team.
How You Will Make an Impact
- Develop and own the strategic roadmap for accounting for the entire company.
- Design your organization and processes to support increasing revenue and complexity.
- Work cross functionally to align accounting processes with new strategic initiatives across the business with excellence in stakeholder communication and collaboration.
- Lead and coach a team of accounting professionals to thrive in a culture where they can do their best work.
Why You Will Love Working at Chalmers Insurance Group
- We are a family-owned company and we will treat you like part of the Chalmers family.
- We invest in the infrastructure you’ll need to be supported and successful.
- We provide products that have a positive impact on our friends, family and neighbors in our community.
- We work at a sustainable pace which means work/life balance is a real thing here.
- We believe technology and data can solve hard problems.
- We believe in exceptional leadership.
- We offer competitive pay and meaningful opportunities for career development.
- We have great benefits like medical with an HSA and company contribution towards medical premiums and the HSA, dental, vision, company-paid life/STD, and a 401k with company match.
- We have a hybrid, flexible working schedule.
- We care about our communities and provide paid volunteer time.
- We care about employee wellbeing and provide support for emotional health and financial planning.
For more information or to apply, please contact: Jessica Orgo, HR Manager